I keep telling everyone that the boy is quirky. This proves it! But I love him!
Rafael Nadal is a fount of quirks, rituals and idiosyncrasies. While they may look like superstitious peculiarities to an outsider, Nadal insists they’re mechanisms to help him focus on tennis. Here’s a definitive list of Nadal’s 19 tennis tics.
1. Walks on court with a single racket in hand.
2. Crosses lines with his right foot only (and never steps on them if he can avoid it).
3. When arriving on court, places bag down on bench, turns tournament ID face up.
4. The picking, of course.
5. Makes opponent and chair umpire wait as he prepares for warmups.
6. Takes off jacket while jumping.
And always faces the stands, to give the people what they want.
7. Hands off the recovery drink to a ballboy for safe refrigeration.
(They’re still waiting.)
8. Eats his energy gel, always the same way:
Rip off top, fold side over, coax gel up with four…
View original post 290 more words